Sadie Schow
Ms. Antonowicz
RLA Block C/D
September 23, 2016
Word count: 633
Moose
I promised myself I would walk up the trail our first morning there. Instead, I sit at a regular brown wooden, rectangular table with four wooden chairs. A fake plant sitting against the wall, in the middle of the table. Paper, markers, pencils, and colored pencils strewn across the table. My cousin sitting next to me focused on coloring a drawing like a slow moving sloth. This had been normal for the whole week, mostly. Don’t get me wrong I do love to draw but, I can’t help but think about walking along the path through the trees, while scouting out for ground squirrels, deer, and maybe even moose. The rest of my family is walking along the trail and they have most of the day’s. As always I sit with my cousin and draw or we watch a movie or maybe even do both.
When my parents come back they tell us they saw a moose out on the trail. Actually, almost everyday it seems as though they had seen a moose. Every year we go up, if we are lucky we have the opportunity of seeing a moose. I now realize it is like a tiny little tradition I have formed for myself, to see a moose at least once when we are up there. It’s not anything to amazing to see one but, I still like to try to see the big brown creature.
I do like to go out on that trail even if we don’t happen to see moose. It’s fun walking up the wide winding dust path with my family. We look at the lush green undergrowth and the blue, yellow, and other bright colored flowers. The aroma of nature surrounding us. On our way to the top my cousins and I scout the path for ground squirrels and choose names for them. We talk and look out around to pass time. Once we reach the top my cousin and I depart from our parents and climb up the huge slanted gray rock.
I don’t know what it is but, I find pleasure standing on this old rock and staring into the trees and mountains. Behind this huge steep rock I explore. I clamber up the different paths and meander along them seeing where they take me. I walk to the huge tangle of brown tree branches that has been formed into a fort like thing. I don’t know who created this or when it was built but, I stand in it and move onto the rocks. Climbing up top the rocks staring at the moss and leafless trees. I find a great peace up here.
I did walk one day when we were up there but, no moose decided to come out. I stand on the balcony in our room and breathe in the crisp air, looking through the tall green trees, seeing if I can be lucky enough to spot a large furry brown creature moving through the undergrowth. It’s possible to see one from here, although hard and especially hard without binoculars. But, I don’t see one. I now wish I had gone walking more like I had planned in my mind. There are many other times I can draw with my cousin so, I had plenty of times to go out walking.
Looking back I realize how much I have grown to love going up there to walk through the nature and spending quality time with my family. Also with this small goal to see a moose, I hope to go out more not only for the moose but, to go out and enjoy the world that has been made. I don’t want to miss out on more fun experiences or traditions, even if it is something as little as seeing a moose.
No comments:
Post a Comment